Compiling kernel the Fedora's way

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 22:11:03 UTC 2007

On 2/11/07, Fernando Apesteguía <fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/11/07, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:41:56 +0100, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there any accurate guide on how to compile a Fedora kernel?
> >
> > How about:
> >
> > http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora
>
> Yeah, I followed this guide.
>
> The point is that I don't understand that message about grubby and why
> the new rpm kernel removed all my previous kernels (I had two more). I
> could understand that my kernel didn't boot if I did something wrong,
> but I don't understand why the installation deleted all of my linux
> entries.

A question just to clear things up: Where your kernels actually
removed from the system (what does rpm -qa | grep kernel say? what is
in /boot?) or were the GRUB entries just removed for some reason.  I
do not see how an rpm -ivh could remove packages.  But your error
message (about grubby) says that your /etc/grub.conf got mangled in
the process of installing the kernel.

Jonathan