How to SMTP (Email) Server Fedora 6?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 05:09:31 UTC 2007

Terry Snyder wrote:
> Please be kind to me, I would like to know how to setup linux to be an
> email server to receive emails like microsoft exchange does.  I would
> also like to forward emails from an Exchange 2003 server to this linux
> box for it to handle incoming helpdesk requests.  I have searched
> google all last week and can't seem to get emails to get into the user
> accounts on the linux box, can someone enlighten me please?
>
> Trying to use sendmail on the linux box.  Helpdesk software is called
> PerlDesk.

It should almost work out of the box.  Fedora ships an intentionally
broken sendmail configuration that won't accept mail from anything but
the local box.  To fix it you should:
yum install sendmail-cf
Then edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and remove the Addr=127.0.0.1
restriction from the DAEMON_OPTIONS line and restart sendmail.

If your program involves an alias or forward entry that does a
pipe-to-program, you need to put the program or a symlink to it in
/etc/smrsh because sendmail is configured to ignore any path and only
execute files located in /etc/smrsh/.

Once you get the basics working you should be able to diagnose any other
problems from the log messages in /var/log/maillog.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com