Disable a User's email account

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Mon Feb 12 07:26:57 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:

> Maybe it would be easier to describe exactly what you want these users
> to be able to do first and build an environment that provides nothing
> else instead of starting with a general-purpose login and trying to
> stop everything you don't want them to do.

I've quoted that advice Les gave because it's good. If you really want
to provide users with certain services and not others, start from a
position of not allowing them anything, and then give individual users
more rights when needed.

But for the Dovecot side of what you asked, why not have a look at
/etc/dovecot.conf ? It includes the lines
  # Users can be temporarily disabled by adding a passdb with deny=yes.
  # If the user is found from that database, authentication will fail.
  # The deny passdb should always be specified before others, so it gets
  # checked first. Here's an example:

  #passdb passwd-file {
    # File contains a list of usernames, one per line
    #args = /etc/dovecot.deny
    #deny = yes
  #}

Hope this helps,