Installing VNC

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Feb 12 15:07:28 UTC 2007

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> What VNC clients would the Fedora list recommend? I find the default
> "krdc" program is extremely slow, almost unusable. I searched in yum
> and found xwnc, and installed it, but it will not run. I'd like to
> know what other FC users use, especially on KDE.
>
> Thanks.
I've been pretty happy with the standard client:

vnc-4.1.2-9.fc6

I use it with the standard server:

vnc-server-4.1.2-9.fc6

I was using both for remote access across by not very broadband
connection (~500kbs point-to-point wireless) and just changed the color
depth to something more reasonable (e.g., to 8 bit depth from 24 bit).
You wouldn't want to run a fps game that way but it was quite sufficient
for remote administration.  LAN access is almost indistinguishable from
being on the console but its a gigabit LAN.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce