Samba, connection is slow but copying files is fast.

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 12 15:13:21 UTC 2007

Marcel Janssen wrote:
> On Saturday 10 February 2007 18:44, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> You may want to check to see if you have "dns proxy = no" in your
>> Samba config file. If it is set to yes, you may be experiencing DNS
>> lookup delays when first connecting. Though I would expect something
>> in the order of 90 seconds for DNS lookup delay when I can not find
>> the host it is trying to look up. You should also look in
>> /var/log/samba to see if the logs there say anything helpful.
>>

> By now I know it has something to do with lookup, after fixing IP addresses
> things started to work well. The dns proxy was set to "no" though.
>

> Thanks,
> Marcel

Marcel,

Is your Linksys handing out the IP addresses?

It seems to me that Linux and others probably, as well, "ask" the DHCP
server to renew its address halfway through the lease time.  Asking for
the same address it already has.  Generally the DHCP server says 'okay',
since the address is not in use by anyone else.  If your server is not
getting the same address every time, something might be wrong with the
Linksys.  Or I completely misunderstand how this is all supposed to
work, which is certainly possible. :-)

In any case assigning IP addresses to specific MAC addresses on your
DHCP server should help.  Varying server addresses is a bad thing,
anyway (IMHO).

Any new windows machines (laptops, etc.) coming up on the network will
likely find an existing "Master Browser" that can resolve the server
addresses (NetBIOS) as long as they are not changing.

Bob...