How to SMTP (Email) Server Fedora 6?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 03:26:31 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Not what I said at all. But no configuration is going to be "right"
> for people with commercial accounts.

I suppose there are people who don't want user at server to go to that
user's mailbox.  There are also probably people who want their ssh login
to do something other than log in as the specified user - but I'm not
sure why either of those would be the case.

> The stock
> configuration will work for stand-alone machines, and is fairly safe
> to run on a network machine.

Work?  How can something that doesn't accept mail work?

> To fully integrate the mail server into the network, you are going
> to have to  do some network specific modifications in just about
> every case. The days when a mail server could send mail to any other
> mail server without specific configuration are gone. If you are a
> non-commercial user, chances are you have to relay though your ISP's
> mail server. You may have to do the same with a small commercial
> network. With just about any network, you have to set up who can
> send mail through the server. You may also need to change how your
> mail server announces itself over the Internet. You may also need to
> route all outgoing mail through one server, and you may need to
> route internal mail to another server.

Yes, it is reasonable to expect a machine to be a mail hub, a mail
relay, or a mail client.  So 3 working copies of sendmail.mc would be a
good start instead of one broken one, along with some documentation for
those specific common tweaks you mention.

> What about the people that have their primary mail server at their
> hosting service? Are they relaying their outgoing mail through the
> same server? If so, you have to change the configuration to use that
> host as a relay. If you are not relaying through the hosting server,
> do you have to relay through your ISP's mail server? Or does the
> server have to masquerade as another host when sending mail over the
> Internet?

Those things wouldn't have to be any harder than, say, configuring
authentication against a windows domain controller which is a
fill-in-the-form option in the RH tools.

> All I can say is do a Google search on me. Some of the hits with the
> ExecPC email address show how much things have changed over the years.

Well, at this point it should come with virus and spam scanning enabled
out of the box, but with mimedefang packaged in extras that wouldn't be
difficult either.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com