password

tokyoi at mac.com tokyoi at mac.com
Tue Feb 13 09:05:45 UTC 2007

On 13 Feb 2007, at 0:27, Mike McCarty wrote:

> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Another interesting way to have a fairly strong password, but still
>> be able to remember it is to come up with a sentence or phrase. Then
>> take the first letter of each word, and use that as your password.
>> It would be better if there were some numbers/special symbols in it,
>> but it is a big improvement over most passwords. For example, you
>> could take my signature and create a password of Dnmitaod,ftacatgwk
>> - try a dictionary attack on that. (Probably too long a password for
>> most places, but you get the idea.)
>
> My passwords are never a word in any language, nor any of those
> words reverse, etc. The technique you describe, with special
> characters intermixed, is actually quite a good one, AIUI.
>
> Mike

I do a similar thing with titles of books in weird languages but was
quite surprised to find that some of them don't show up as strong
compared to some plain text passwords. What algorithms are used to
determine the strength of a password, apart from plain text words in
dictionaries, personal names and all the obvious ones? Or should I
just use a whole bookshelf? :-)

Best wishes,

Ian