Auto mail bouncer for testing

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 13:14:52 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty wrote:
> In order to use the ones I investigated, one must permit placement
> of third-party permanent cookies.

Doesn't seem to be true with Google. On the other hand, Google ads get
on enough web-pages that a Google cookie can track you pretty well
anyway.

> Any time any website wants to retrieve those cookies, it can.

Not strictly true -- only the "third party" can retrieve the cookies,
and then only if the website puts a monitoring image from the third
party on a page you're looking at. Even then, privacy-oriented proxies
might deny access to the "third party". (But it's sensible to assume
that the third party and the website are in collusion).

I presume that you occasionally go through your cookie list and block
the sites you don't recognise?

I wrote:
> I use my Gmail account for Fedora lists -- it's no secret that I'm on
> this list!

Mike asked:
> Explain how to use it without exposing my machine to cookie placement
> which can be used by third parties, and I'll reconsider.

1. Get a Gmail account. (Maybe use a different browser to sign up).
2. Set it so you can download all e-mail using POP3, and send using SMTP.
3. Clear all the cookies from the browser, and use a real mail client to
send and receive in the future.

I use Fetchmail so that list e-mail comes into Mutt as normal, and don't
normally send through Gmail.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail:     james@ | I suppose if one has to go mad, slowly is the way to go.
aprilcottage.co.uk | You wouldn't want to rush going mad, you might miss some