need to switch computers without losing data

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Feb 13 20:34:50 UTC 2007

Tom Poe wrote:
> My daughter has a PIII with FC5 on it.  Troubleshooting flowchart
> indicates power supply died.  We're going to the UMN recycle store, and
> get a PIII or newer.  Can someone point me to the steps needed to take
> the hard drive out of the dead computer, and put it in the new computer,
> and not lose the data?  I'm thinking there might be issues with just
> switching hard drive to another computer with different hardware
> configuration.
> Any help appreciated,
> Tom

If you can put in another PS, go into the BIOS and copy down the hd
configuration. If you can not do that, then stick it in the new
computer, boot with a rescue disk. Run fsck on the partitions on the
drive. If it passes, you should not have any problems. If it fails,
the BIOS is not configured correctly for the drive. (If the old BIOS
and the new BIOS are set to auto, chances are you will not have
problems.)

If you are changing video cards, you are going to want to boot in
level 3, and reconfigure the video, but even booting with in run
level 5 with the wrong video is not going to cause problems. Linux
tends to be very tolerant about hardware changes, as long as you do
not downgrade the processor family.

Mikkel