Boot problems with software RAID migrated from Gentoo

Mike Wohlgemuth mjw at woogie.net
Wed Feb 14 11:14:05 UTC 2007

Hi, I have a box with LVM and RAID that I had originally built with
Gentoo Linux.  I left the partitions in place and installed FC5.  Things
went smoothly, and everything was fine with kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.
But, every kernel I have attempted to run since then gives me the
following when I try to boot:

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting
EXT3-fs: Unable to read super block
mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: invalid argument
setuproot: moving /dev failed
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
kernel panic - not syncing:  Attempted to kill init!

I have 3 identical hardisks doing software RAID.

/boot is on md0, which is RAID1 spread across sda1, sdb1, and sdc1
swap is on md1, which is RAID5 spread across sda2, sdb2, and sdc2
/ is on md2, which is RAID5 spread across sda3, sdb3, and sdc3
LVM vg0 is on md3, which is RAID5 spread across sda4, sdb4, and sdc4

During the migration to Fedora, I reformatted /boot and / as EXT3 (they
had been XFS).

Any ideas on what might be going wrong?  I just tried again this morning
with 2.6.19-1.2288.fc5 and got the same problem.  The original kernel
boots just fine, and I haven't noticed any other problems on this box.

Thanks for any tips you can give me.

Mike