(fedora) Re: NTP problem

zephod at cfl.rr.com zephod at cfl.rr.com
Wed Feb 14 14:42:07 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen" <joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl>
Date: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 7:47 am
Subject: Re: (fedora) Re: NTP problem
To: fedora-list at redhat.com, CHRIS.ROUCH at gmail.com

> Chris wrote at 12-FEB-2007 18:12:06.46
> On 2/12/07, Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen <joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl> wrote:
> >> I have a problem with NTP on a FC6 machine connected to a adsl
> connection.>> When starting up the machine it tells me it fails to
> synch with the server
> >> (it started doing this one or two months ago) after that is sais
> that ntpd
> >> is started succesfully. I doubt this because I start noticing
> slight (1/2
> >> minute) time differences with other machines.
> >> First I thought it was a firewall problem, but this weekend I
> connetcted on
> >> the same network connection another FC6 machine, with the same
> >> Firewall/Selinux and NTP settings. This machine did not give the
> error.>> The only difference between the machines is the actual
> hardware and on
> >> machine 1 more FC6 packages are installed.
> >>
> >> Where do/can I look to solve this problem?
> >>

> >First try "service ntp restart" from a running system. If that fails,
> No problem doing thsi on the running system
>
> >chances are you have a faulty step tickers file. If it works, make
> >sure that DNS is available when ntp is started at boot time or that
> >/etc/ntp/step.tickers uses ip addresses instead of hostnames.
> Changing to ip numbers in the /etc/ntp/step.tickers to make the match
> exactly to the machine that works did not have any effect. Still I
> get the
> error at boot-time. I'm sure the network is acctivated before
> starting ntp.
>

> Any other ideas?

As root run

#ntpq -c peers

This will tell you who, if anyone your machine is talking to to get its
time updates. Check out the ntpq man page for more options and the NTP
web page for details on the meaning of the printout (http://www/mtp.org)

If you are not talking to your time server, try a different one (there
are lists on the web of stratum 1 and stratum 2 servers) and perhaps try
making one of your LAN machines a time server for testing. You can use
the usual techniques (ping, traceroute, netstat etc) to find out if you
have connectivity to a particular machine.

HTH
Steve.