How to convert ogg files to mp3

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Feb 14 15:04:09 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 February 2007, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
>On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 14:26 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> >
>> > This seems to be a good guide:
>> >        http://www.igso.net/nkb/Converting_ogg_to_mp3_in_Linux
>> >
>> > You'll need the livna repository enabled to get the MP3 stuff going
>> >
>> > You do realise that the quality might be questionable - ogg and mp3
>> > are both lossy formats...
>>
>> The quality won't be questionable- it will be terrible.
>
>I did not try it, but there is no reason that the quality will be
>terrible. There will be some reduction in quality, but it is certainly
>not the case, that each conversion will reduce the quality by a constant
>factor.

No Dotan is correct, the quality will be terrible and unfit to listen to
unless you truly have a tin ear.  Each is a lossy format, yes, but they
throw away different parts, and even a 192kbit mp3 to a Q7 ogg gets very
tiring to listen to before the first song has played to the end.  Been
there, done that, and if my 72 year old ears with carhart notches 120+ db
deep in them can hear it and reject it, I hate to think what it must
sound like to younger, far more virgin ears than mine.  The thought makes
me shiver, like fingernails on a blackboard...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)