How to convert ogg files to mp3

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 14 16:23:58 UTC 2007

> We're no audiophiles in my house, but both myself and my wife could
> tell which file was the uncompressed wav and which was the
> cd->mp3->ogg. An experiment with cd->ogg->mp3 which was not double
> blind (as the first test was) yeilded similar results: we could both
> tell. We were using Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral album as the
> test case. The ogg was quality 6 or 7, and the mp3 was 128 bps.

It will depend on many factors on whether you notice a quality problem
or not, such as the quality of the hardware you are playing on, the bit
rate used, the program you used and its settings, the type etc... and
even your own hearing.

All I can say is I have done ogg->mp3 transitions in the past (using
transkode, the KDE frontend to transcode) and could not tell much
difference between the original ogg and converted mp3. I cannot recall
the settings but I believe the original oggs and transcoded mp3s where
at a much higher bit rate than the 128 you used which might explain it
(plus the fact I know my hearing is not great...)

Bottom line is all that matters is if you cannot tell a difference. So
whilst others might tell you it WILL be terrible, you will only know if
it matters to you if you try it out and see what you get.

Chris