Question about DST changes in the US

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Feb 14 16:36:56 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 09:52:08 -0600,
  Kerry Miller <kmiller01 at ticnet.com> wrote:
> I've got several different flavors of Fedora Core running both at home and
> work and have been researching how to make changes to when it switches
> from standard time to daylight saving time.  The only thing I found was
> that it links to files under /usr/share/zoneinfo but those don't look like
> text files.  how do I edit those files and then compile them to make the
> DST changes at the right time?
>
> Or, is there another fix for this?  Is there a patch or updated RPM to
> replace the files in /zoneinfo?

If you are keeping your system uptodate, you should have picked up the US
DST rule changes a long time ago. The timezone data gets updated pretty
regularly. (I think there were 16 or so changes to the upstream package last
year.) Remember the US isn't the only country that passes laws that affect
local time, so that one would expect few of these changes to matter to you
if you only care about local time in one location.

If you dual boot with Windows you might have issues. Normally you want your
hardware clock set to UTC, but Windows users typically set it to localtime
instead. The problem with this is that you need to adjust the hardware clock
and with more than one OS needing to do this it might get changed more than
once.