Bonehead Move, LVM

bram bram at diomedia.be
Wed Feb 14 19:17:30 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty schreef:
> Tod wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I got the loopback working and can see all the partitions in the
>> image. Since its a volume managed device I'm now stuck.  I can see
>> the partitions but I can't think of how to get around the lvm part to
>> mount them and see the actual contents.  I'm not that lvm proficient
>> quite yet.
>
> I tossed FC4 when I discovered that it installs LVM by default. LVM is
> IMO worse than useless. I see no advantages for me, and I see problems
> (like yours, for example) looming in the future.
I would have to agree on this, for our servers we use freebsd because it
does not have lvm and it's very easy to add drives etc.
Would it not be a good idea to add a checkbox in the installer wich says
yes automic partitioning but no lvm.

I once added a harddrive in my pc asuming it would just get mounted
(being an ex mac user).
Then I must have done something wrong in lvm and everything stopped working.
I did have a backup but it was not a good experience.