cron

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 16:05:10 UTC 2007

Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I don't have any idea why all of those oddball places are used instead
>> of just specifying the times the normal way in root's crontab where
>> you could see it all at once and modify it with the crontab -e command.
>
> It is easier for an rpm package to install an extra
> file instead of modifying an existing file.
>
> Try:
>
> rpm -qf /etc/cron.daily/*

Yes, and it's easier for a human to understand and modify things that
are all in one place and work the same way in all cases.  I'd rather see
things optimized for humans and let the machines do the extra work...
It would make sense to make *all* crontabs include the contents of all
files in a matching crontab.d directory, so whatever benefits for
automation that style adds would extend to users too, and the crontab
program could handle it transparently with the -e and -l options.

It doesn't make much sense to splatter this information around in
different formats in several different places in files whose names don't
sort reasonably and that only make sense in one language.  Did some
windows programmer come up with the scheme?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com