Question about DST changes in the US

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 02:15:47 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty wrote:

>> Ntp and fedora always run in UTC which doesn't change for local DST
>
> Are you sure about this, Les? I've got a Fedora install, and I recall
> specifically telling it to use hardware time, not UTC, and when I
> boot Windows XP it tells me the same time as Fedora.
>
>> variations.  The tzdata info is used for conversions to display
>> localtime using the local conventions for the user's timezone.

Yes, it can keep the motherboard hardware clock in localtime but
internally everything is UTC and converted to the user's timezone for
display - and different users can be in different timezones at the same
time.  Try:

date
then
TZ=PST8PDT date   (or any timezone other than the one you set as the
default).

Basically the time() system call works in seconds since 00:00:00 UTC,
January 1, 1970, and localtime() and variations take that value and
convert to the local form.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com