Bonehead Move, LVM

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 16 12:23:38 UTC 2007

>> At which point you *won't* have an FC(n-1) system the same as your
>> previous one, since you will have lost all the various updates and
>> system changes you had made :)
>
> I will be able to keep all the "system changes" I choose: updates can be
> reapplied and a copy of cat /var/log/rpmpkgs will show me what else I
> need to recover.  Keeping my home dir and the bulk of /var will mean it
> is of limited horror as well.  However, I have been using Fedora since
> before FC1, only once did I get into a pickle that required nukage, that
> was trying to come off Development and back to the previous FCn.

I also have never had to completely abandon any RH/FC(n) release (I also
have been doing this for a while, since about RH8 on my current laptop I
think) but several times I have found that whilst FC(n) ran OKish, not
everything I needed worked straight away, such as X or wireless. The
point when the kernel went from 2.4.X to 2.6.X was particularly
interesting. This happened more in the early days when my hardware was
relatively new - not so now. However, I still find it VERY useful to be
able to live with 2 FC releases at the SAME time, whilst sorting out any
problems with the newer one.

>> I guess we just disagree. To me is plain obvious that multiple
>> partitions and LVM are good things, and I am glad it is by default
>> what is used by the installer. I guess you disagree and that fine,
>> good even, since if we all agreed on everything life would be much
>> duller :)
>
> ;-)  I think you might come to disagree too if you get faced with a
> broken drive and are kept away from the filesystem by an LVM wrapper
> that is only there for reasons that are very esoteric indeed at that
> moment.

I agree this is one potential downside to LVM, but personally I don't
think this con out-weights the many pros, IMHO. ( Also I suspect
eventually the tools will be developed to deal with this, as LVM becomes
more widely used, so this con will become a non-issue, but this is just
speculation... )

  Each to his own, but hopefully there is food for thought on
> this thread when it comes to giving advice to others.

Indeed. Let people read our comments and make up their own mind.

Chris