How to convert ogg files to mp3

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 12:32:06 UTC 2007

On 16/02/07, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On 14/02/07, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
> >> On this point I add that I hate both formats because of the lossy
> >> nature.  I rip CD's to flac and then convert as required for my mp3
> >> player which does support ogg.
> >>
> >> My wife cannot notice the difference, even with good headphones on and I
> >> cringe at most mp3 music.  My biggest problem is "Stairway to Heaven"  I
> >> have yet to get a good ogg or mp3 version of this song.  Same with many
> >> live recordings.
> >>

> > Yes, Stairway and the Battle of Evermore I had to rerip at 320 bps to
> > get rid of an echo in both songs. The rest of my collection is 256,
> > with a few exceptions. I don't really like live recordings, so I
> > haven't tried those.
> >

> The versions from Symbols?  Do you remember what time/part it was at?

There are other versions? I've only got the 320 on hand right now, but
I can rerip the disc at 128/256 if you want. Listening to Stairway at
320, I think that I remember the echo at about 7:20 or so in the
cymbals.

> > If you're already ripping to flac, are you listening to them as flac?
> > I know that mplayer will play flacs.
> >

> I'd guess he's using mp3 for a hardware player.  While a few will
> play FLAC it's quite space hungry.

I meant on the desktop.

I'd actually like to note that my music collection is in mp3 as I feel
it's slightly better sounding than ogg. I don't remember what turned
me off about ogg, but I decided not to use it. I only mention it
because someone mentioned earlier in the thread that ogg sounds
better. My music tastes usually include heavy guitar and drums, with
not a small bit of electronic peices: Led Zepplin, Machina (Israeli
rock), Pantera, Sepultura, Nine Inch Nails, Rammstien, Ministry.
Appears that guitar doesn't compress so well in ogg. That was about
2002-ish, while Windows was still installed on this machine. Might I
see better results ripping ogg with a newer Linux program?

Also, hardware support for ogg is almost non-existant. My first
portable mp3 player (SA-1 series) wouldn't play ogg, and neither does
my current (Nokia 6280, playing double duty as a telephone). So I'd
still have to keep the mp3's around. If I rerip as flac, is there a
tool that will convert to mp3 on the fly when I copy to the Nokia's SD
card (which I do very often)?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/xss.html
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/lyrics/78/238/guns_n_roses/use_your_illusion_1.html