How to convert ogg files to mp3

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Fri Feb 16 16:05:29 UTC 2007

Today Michael Wiktowy did spake thusly:

> On 2/16/07, Scott van Looy <scott at ethosuk.org.uk> wrote:
>> Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:
>> > Also, hardware support for ogg is almost non-existant.
>> WAS non existant. I've had a Rio Karma for years that plays oggs tho
>
> I was hopeful that ogg was gaining acceptance too but that hope was
> squashed this past Christmas which shopping for a digital music
> player.
>
> It appears that Microsoft's new "Plays for Sure" is making sure that
> player no longer support oggs and no longer are accessible via USB
> Mass Storage but rather the more awkward MTP. I had a heck of a time
> trying to find a product in one of the main electronics stores that
> had ogg support and acted like a UMS drive.
>
> In the end, after a fair amount of research and hunting around, I
> found one of the last iRiver T30s available. Unfortunately, the
> firmware installer that was supposed to revert the T30 back to a UMS
> device so that it could used on an OS other than XP, needed XP to run.
> When I found an XP box to run it on, it wouldn't work. I had to return
> it and buy a non-ogg Creative that acted like a UMS drive.
>
> So the moral of the story is, while ogg compatibility *was* gaining
> more acceptance in the hardware player world, they are no longer due
> to "Plays for Sure". It makes me sad. I suppose some players are still
> available by ordering online ... but good luck finding one in the
> local electronics store.

Surely that depends where you live? ;)

I rarely buy anything electrical in a store any more anyway on account of
online prices generally being cheaper and a much wider choice.

Many players can be flashed with RockBox for ogg support:
http://www.rockbox.org/

I use my Palm TX and PocketTunes - have around 600 songs on a 1gig SD card
in low bitrate ogg format and quality wise it's about half way between CD
and Net radio - it's pretty good ;)

If I was going to buy a new mp3 player, however, I'd go for this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KDZR5U?tag2=dapreview-20
Which is the best player around IMHO

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk