Adding a second drive with LVM

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Feb 16 18:24:36 UTC 2007

Mark Fraser wrote:
> I'm currently using FC6 with one hard drive formatted with LVM. I was
> thinking of buying a second larger hard drive just for /home. So that when
> F7 arrives I can install it without being concerned that everything in
> /home will get overwritten.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) is this possible with LVM?
>
> 2) what is the easiest way of achieving it?
>
> 3) if it can't be done with LVM, are there any other ways of doing what I
> want?
>
> Thanks

I would install the drive and configure it for LVM.  Don't add it to
your present volume.  Transfer all your data to this new partition and
then mount it under /home  This way you now have the drive separate from
the OS.  Then if your drive gets full again, you can add a second drive
to this drives LVM.

This is how I prefer to set up my systems.
--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.