Extract Attachment from Mail

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Feb 16 21:23:11 UTC 2007

On 12Feb2007 07:27, Patrick Steiner <patrick.steiner at a1.net> wrote:
| i fetch my mails via fetchmail and after that procmail sorts them into
| different mailbox-folders.

"mail" is its own plural, like "sheep" or "fish".

| how can i extract attachments and but them into a folder like
| ~/attachments? i tried mimeStrip.pl, but
| i also get some non -base64 coded mails and the don't work with this
| tool :-(. any ideas who i can extract
| this files?

I extract attachments using the metamail package (not available as a
Fedora package as far as I can tell - had to build it from source; I can
email you a tarball if you like).

I use a wrapper script to put the files somewhere
useful:

  http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/bin/mailunpack

That script relies on a bunch of other things from that script collection.
You might just want to skip it for the metamail incantation.  If you want to
take it as-is, it may be easiest to just grab the whole css package:

  http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/

I normally run this script from mutt but it could easily be used from a
procmail recipe.

Disclaimer: I wrote these scripts and thus am a bit biased.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

You are just paranoid, and all your friends think so too.
        - James Joseph Dominguez <d9250788 at zac.riv.csu.edu.au>