Installation of FC6 does not boot

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 14:51:30 UTC 2007

On 2/16/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > I have just installed FC6 on a second hard disk (hdb); the first hard
> > disk (hda) contains Windows XP. Everything went fine during the
> > installation. However, the computer boots always on Windows XP.  Any
> > ideas?
>
> Although you say you've solved this, just for curiosity's sake, can you
> remember where you told the installer to put GRUB?
>
> I set up FC6 dual-booting on a friend's XP, it did not put GRUB
> on /dev/hda like I told it to, I had your problem.  I had to manually
> re-install GRUB.  GRUB's fine, there's something screwy with the FC6
> installation routine.

I had instructed the installation process to install GRUB in hda (the
disk where Windows XP was), but, contrary to my instruction,
apparently, no GRUB installation was performed in hda. I also suspect
that the installation routine is not correctly written regarding this
issue. An by the way: how could one manually install GRUB in hda?

Paul