Installation of FC6 does not boot

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Feb 18 05:36:45 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 14:51 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> I had instructed the installation process to install GRUB in hda (the
> disk where Windows XP was), but, contrary to my instruction,
> apparently, no GRUB installation was performed in hda.

Seemed that way on a friend's computer, too.

> I also suspect that the installation routine is not correctly written
> regarding this issue.

'twas my conclusion, too.

> An by the way: how could one manually install GRUB in hda?

See the grub info file for details, but in a nutshell:

Boot a rescue disc.
When you get a console, type in:  grub
  (if grub can't be found, you might have "cd" around 'till
   you find where it's stored)
Inside this new GRUB shell, type:  root (hd1,0)
  (or wherever *your* /boot partition is)
Then type:  find (hd1,0)/grub/stage1
  (that'll check that it can find what it needs where you told it to look)
Then type:  setup (hd0)
  (that'll set up the bootblock)
Finally, type:  quit
  (which finalises things, as well as exits)

I suspect that anybody trying to avoid a /boot *partition* and just use
a boot directory, is going to be in a bit of a bind for dual booting or
with hardware that doesn't handle large discs very well.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.