VMWare server on FC4

fedoralist at subtropolix.org fedoralist at subtropolix.org
Sun Feb 18 18:39:46 UTC 2007

fedoralist at subtropolix.org wrote:
> Markku Kolkka wrote:
>
>> fedoralist at subtropolix.org kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika
>> lauantai, 17. helmikuuta 2007):
>>
>>> First, i installed the kernel-devel package with yum:
>>>
>>> $ rpm -qa | grep kernel
>>> kernel-devel-2.6.17-1.2142_FC4
>>> kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
>>> kernel-2.6.9-1.667
>>

>> You must have the kernel-devel package that exactly matches the
>> version of your running kernel. Either update your kernel to
>> 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4 or try to find the old
>> kernel-devel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 from some archive.
>>

> Thanks. Yup, i clued into that a few minutes later, removed the
> kernel-devel package, and located the proper one and downloaded it
> manually. I feel like a n00b.
>
> I find it strange, though, that yum would install the incorrect version
> for my running kernel. It's not as if i asked it to update it (and, even
> then, it seems fruitless to fetch a mis-matched package).
>
> I'll try again later this morning.
>
> brian

For posterity, this worked fine. The only other thing i did was to set a
soft link:

ln -s /usr/src/kernels/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4-i686/ /usr/src/linux

which i could have specified to runme.pl in any case.

So far, compiling with gcc4.2 seems to have gone ok (the kernel was
compiled with 4.0).

brian