FC6 x86_64 without a swap partition freezes

Laurent Vaills laurent.vaills at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 10:43:55 UTC 2007

Hi.

I have installed an FC6 on my AMD  Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+.
As I have 1 Gb of RAM, I decided not to create a partition swap as I thought
it was quite enough to run my system.

Most of the time that works quite good but sometimes my computer freezes
(unable to type anykey, to move the mouse or even to switch to a text
console) and there are a lot of reads on my harddisk. The only solution I
have is to reboot my computer.

It seems this happens mainly when almost all my RAM is used (and with 2
users on the computer executing firefox, the RAM is quite used after a few
hours of surf).

Do you think that this problem can be solved by adding a swap partition ?
(I'd like to avoid this as I will need to reduce the existing one to create
it and this kind of operations are quite risky).

Laurent