Broken Wireless Connectivity

Dave Cross davorg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 18:28:49 UTC 2007

On 2/18/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 18:54 +0000, Dave Cross wrote:
> >
> > Then last weekend I had some problems with my wireless access point
> > and as part of the diagnosis I removed the configured wireless
> > connection and re-added it. And since then it hasn't worked at all. I
> > mean that when I try to activate the connection from the network
> > configuration wizard, it fails to get a DHCP lease.
> >
> I would try the following. Stop the script network from running using
> chkconfig and run NetwoirkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher in its
> place.
> reboot. A applet called nm-applet will start running when you login and
> put a icon in the  right corner of your upper panel. Right click on the
> icon and you should see the available access point(s). Click on the one
> you want. A dot circling display will occur and finally upon connection
> a series of vertical bars. Along the way to connecting the first time
> you will have a chance to enter the id of the access point and a WEP
> password if you haven't done this. I have not set up a new access point
> in awhile so I  can't describe exactly what you will see in the initial
> configuration steps but it is fairly self explanatory in my memory. Ask
> again if you need further clarification.

Thanks. That all works.

I knew about NetworkManager (I use it on the laptop), but I was
convinced that the way to go was to get it it all working manually and
_then_ get NetworkManager on the case. I was sure that NetworkManager
couldn't be cleverer about all this than me.

Score one for artificial intelligence, I guess :)

I'd still be interested in knowing why eth0 has become wifi0 and what
wloan0 is - if anyone has the time or the inclination.

Cheers,

Dave...