OT: which Linux for WRT54GL?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200702 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 20:23:21 UTC 2007

"Wade Hampton" <wadehamptoniv at gmail.com> writes:
> The reasons for the desire for custom firmware are;
>
> 1)  Ability to ssh into the router
> 2)  Ability to have better logging or maybe use an external log server
> 3)  Ability to run custom software on the router as it is a 24x7 resource
> 4)  Blame myself if it crashes as Linksys never helped with my older router
> 5)  General hackability....

* WPA2 instead of WEP
* IPV6
* ssh with RSA only (no passwords allowed)
* ethernet bridging (no NAT forced onto the user)
* no DHCP (pass all the dhcp requests to the main router which will
           allocate from one pool)
* better control over ntp host selection and polling delay

Unfortunately ipv6 isn't that useful until Fedora gets a working
stateful iptables for ipv6.  The current ipv6 iptables doesn't protect
against much.  (As long as an attacker uses an approved source port,
the packet will be accepted, whether it is related to an established
outgoing connection or not.)

-wolfgang