Kaffiene question re audio

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 01:57:59 UTC 2007

> An example URL with a fully updated system, livna, extras and "xine-non-free"
> stuff installed:

> rtsp://srv1.mel.apstream.net/encoder/rrrlive.rm <rtsp://srv1.mel.apstream.net/encoder/rrrlive.rm>

It played fine for me with mplayer:)

> Then I went to
> freshrpms manually dnloading the  ffmpeg-0.4.9-0.8.20070109.fc6.i386.rpm
> and the devel and libpostproc rpms too. The separate libavcodec rpm
> conflicts with either the devel or libpostproc, I ferget. I also removed
> all xine rpms  and re-installed the 1.1.4-1 series from Freshrpms

Linux video applications are strongly based on ffmpeg.
This is why Matthias uses an embedded ffmepg for xine-lib-moles and vlc:

http://lists.freshrpms.net/pipermail/freshrpms-list/2007-February/014499.html

This is the main reason for the robustness of freshrpms versions of
xine/vlc.

Applications making use of a lot of shared libraries are prone to break
often,
when one of them is updated and become incompatible.
Since Fedora is not providing static libraries anymore, the problem has to
be dealt with
by whom provide the application, and an extra care has to be taken while
checking all dependencies.

This is why I choose my repos based on the person who is responsible for
them.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ