Internet Connect of FC6..

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Feb 20 02:00:16 UTC 2007

Ryan Li wrote:
> Thanks for all of the info you have given me. I'll have to see what I
> can do over the weekend.
>
> I know it sounds really crazy but I'm living in a 3rd world country, and
> my modem is a no-name modem and the manual is in a foreign language. I
> can make out the part where they are telling me the IP address, Netmask,
> Default Gateway etc. but I don't believe this modem stores the info inside.
>
> It's actually not even my modem. I was just borrowing a co-workers' ADSL
> internet connection to get some updates and get XGL working...
> Currently, I don't have the internet at my place because I move around
> so much. I'm moving again in less than 2 weeks and will only be at my
> next place for about 2 months. Then I'll be moving once again to another
> country, but I'll be staying there for a long time. If I don't get all
> this working now, I'll handle it then. And maybe by then Fedora 7 will
> be out! Thanks again to all of you who have helped me so far... I'll
> keep trying~
>
> Later,
> Ryan
> (Running FC6 on an Intel iMac)
>

> P.S. What about the KPPP that can be found in the 'Applications ->
> Internet' tab? Will that work?

First, KPPP is for connections over standard dialup, not for a DSL
connection. What makes it hard when it comes to setting up a DSL
connection is that there are different setups, depending on where
you are. In some places, it is a simple matter of plugging a cable
between your NIC and then modem, and configuring the Ethernet
connection for DHCP. For some, you do that, and then use PPPoE to
make the Internet connection. For others, your Ethernet connection
does not get an IP address, and you just use PPPoE. To make things
more interesting, the modem may remember the MAC address of the NIC,
and need to be power-cycled before it will work with a different
NIC. (There is the extream case, where you have to tell the ISP if
you change NICs.)

You also have to be careful about changing modems, because not all
modems work with all DSL setups - your ISP may provide the modem, or
have a list of modems you can use. You may also have to set up the
modem in a specific way.

For example, on my setup, I have the option of the modem doing the
PPPoE connection, or doing it myself. To have the modem do it, I
have to give it the user name and password in its setup screen. It
will then give me the public IP address as part of the DHCP
information. I also have the option of making the PPPoE connection
myself, if I configure the modem that way.

On my first DSL connection, there was no PPPoE involved. The modem
just gave me the IP information over DHCP, or I could set up a
static connection. But I also have a static public IP address. It
made it easy to connect to my home network from anywhere.

If you are going to connect more then one computer to a DSL
connection, it is probably worth while to get a firewall/router to
connect to the modem. This is worth it even if you will only have
one computer connected at a time. Most or them can handle making the
PPPoE connection for you, and you do not have to power-cycle the
modem when changing computers, or change the MAC addresses of the
NICs to all match.

Mikkel