Who edits my ifcfg-eth0 ?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 20 04:55:21 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy:
>>> Some program re-writes /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?
>>> when I re-boot.

Matthew Saltzman:
> I don't think the DHCP client changes anything in
> /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0.  It may set the contents of /etc/resolv.conf.

I just had another look at this.  There is no /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0
file, do you have something extra?

# locate ifcfg-eth0
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0

They're all the same:

# Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:02:44:70:81:A8
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=serge
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes

This box does use DHCP to set the IP address, and all those files have a
file date from last December.  I can never remember how to tell, but I
seem to recall reading that they're all the same file, two of them are
links to the other.

Thinking more about the original poster's question, I'm wondering if
they have kudzu running each bootup, and whether it does it.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.