Who edits my ifcfg-eth0 ?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Feb 20 14:24:11 UTC 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, John DeDourek wrote:

> It seems that the way of the future is the network manager.  For
> me, it will be essential that I have control.  I don't want
> it to select the neighbor's network (or one of the alternate
> networks here at work) when I am trying to analyze a specific
> network.  Presumably network manager has (or will have) this
> capability.  Otherwise we will either not use it, or hand craft
> it to satisfy our requirements.

I don't think NM is intended to be the be-all and end-all of net
configuration utilities.  I run it on my laptops, where it is a boon and a
blessing (mostly), but I have never run it on a workstation or server that
lives plugged into a single wall socket.

Also, NM doesn't (shouldn't) connect willy-nilly to Wireless networks it's
never been connected to before.

Finally, if you want to influence the direction of NM development,
networkmanager-list at gnome.org