Getting e-mail from GMail but without keeping messages

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue Feb 20 18:40:15 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 14:33 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> On 2/18/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > > I do not want to store messages locally to minimize the risk of them
> > > being spied by someone else. With the CustomizeGoogle extension of
> > > Firefox, one can read GMail accounts with the https protocol, which
> > > encrypts the communications between my machine and GMail servers.
> >
> > But are HTTP pages cached in your browser?
> >
> > I'd suggest that your mail cannot be casually spied upon on your
> > computer if you do not share log-ins, and don't leave your computer
> > without logging out or locking out access.
>
> But the traffic containing the messages may be spied between my
> computer and the GMail server. If the traffic obeys to the https
> protocol, hence it may be spied but it will be useless for the spier.
>
> Paul

You are chasing the wrong suspect.  GMAIL keeps EVERYTHING!!!  It never
dies.
Your mail may remain on their servers and be searchable forever.  If you
want to secure mail of a specific nature, you must use local encryption
and you and the receiving party need your own encryption/decryption
processes, preferably on a system that is never accessable to the
external (www) network.

Regards,
Les H