File Permissions

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 17:00:04 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 18:40 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I don't chown anything. Apache is in the group "user" (which is the
>> name of my user).
>
> So you're logging in as the apache user?

I think that means there is a user named user, which in the RH/fedora
scheme of one group per user would also be in group user and the default
0022 umask will make everything r/w by group as well as user. So, if you
give the home directory group rwx permissions (or at least x to access
the contents), and add other users to the individual's group, everyone
in the group now has full access to the files.   This scheme will work
to give apache access to the public_html directory but may be overkill.
You may not want apache to have write access unless you are running web
applications that need to store data there.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com