view function of Bind 9

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 00:09:48 UTC 2007

edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:

>> On 21/02/2007, at 8:35 PM, edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:
>>
>>> If the client machine using IP ( 192.168.1.0 / 24, IP range from the
>>> NAT service of a Server machine ) and the server machine using IP (
>>> 192.168.0.1 / 24 ), then, it need to be configed by using view
>>> function ?
>>
>> You use views to present different versions of your zones to different
>> sets of clients (such as internal vs external clients). You don't need
>> them if you want to give all clients the same information. Views have
>> nothing to do with NAT (other than certain sets of client machines
>> could be recognised by their NATted addresses).
>>

> Hello,
>
> So, I needn't to config with view function, right ?
>
> Edward.

Is your server the official public server for a registered domain name?
   If not, you just want to provide only the private addresses for the
names even though you configure the server to be primary for the zone.
Some other server (or service) may be providing public dns with the
names of any machine you want to be available from the internet and the
corresponding public addresses.  Even though named can do both at once I
find it easier to run it on different machines and point local clients
at the one with the private addresses.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com