HP Pavilion / ATI 200M Random Crashes - was: [Suspend bug]

oleksandr korneta atenrok at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 01:01:02 UTC 2007

on 02/10/2007 06:56 PM oleksandr korneta wrote:

> on 02/03/2007 11:14 AM Ken Nordquist wrote:
>> I may have stumbled on the solution through blind luck.  First, via my
>> local LUG, I was given the xorg.conf (listed below) to use.  The author
>> who turned me on to this used ATI's newest proprietary driver, but I am
>> using the radeon driver included with xorg.  He mentioned that he found
>> two areas which are "must haves" in the xorg.conf.  They are:
>>
>>     SubSection "extmod"
>>         Option        "omit xfree86-dga"
>>     EndSubSection
>>
>> and
>>
>>     Option        "MaxGARTSize" "128"
>

> I have added this stuff to my xorg.conf
>
>> He also mentioned that turning off the video shared memory in the bios
>> is critical as well.
> Not sure what you mean by that so I didn't touch it.
>> Well, I did all that and viola!  I *still* had random crashes...
>> needless to say I was very disappointed.
>>
>> I also have been having problems with my wireless randomly dropping the
>> signal and not (easily) connecting and reconnecting... so I started to
>> research that problem.  I will preface my solution by mentioning that I
>> use ndiswrapper and I typically use the most current ndiswrapper source
>> to build rpm's (I am currently using v1.34).  I "assumed" the problem
>> was the driver and looked for a "new and improved" AirForce One driver.
>> I discovered there was a new driver which fixed a security problem and
>> tried it...  *Still* no luck...   After searching the ndiswrapper site,
>> I discovered another AirForce One driver and tried it...
> I didnt have any random disconnects, although I was using the same
> driver with ndiswrapper that proved to be working under FC4 (dated of
> 2005). Nevertheless I followed your advice and switched to the driver
> from tp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33001-33500/sp33008.exe
>
>> *And it worked!*  My wireless connects easily and does not randomly drop
>> connections.
>>
>> And guess what...  now my HP Pavilion with the ATI 200M is *not*
>> randomly crashing...
> unfortunately I still observe random crashes.

alright, I decided to go wired, and see what happens. So it has been
almost two weeks since I turned my wireless card off and deactivated the
wlan0 device and guess what - no crashes since then. So I claim that the
combination of ndiswrapper + x86_64 windows wifi drivers make my laptop
to crash 1-2 times per day.

Any suggestions?

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./