ESR: Goodbye Fedora

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Feb 22 01:31:36 UTC 2007

M. Fioretti writes:

>> There's no technical reason why an rpm file cannot include the URL of any
>> repositories that provide packages any needed dependencies, together with
>> the repositories' keys.
>
> I like the concept, but for some reason which I can't point out before
> sleeping I have the _feeling_ that there is some practical reason why
> this wouldn't work in real life. But maybe I'm just sleepy.

I've thought about this -- there is one situation where this model breaks
down.  This model depends on everyone using different package names.  If two
repos build a different package and use the same name for both of them, this
model is going to break down.

It is necessary to have some measure of self-discipline here, and people
need to keep within their own boundaries, and not stick their nose where it
doesn't belong.  But I do not believe that it is a big concern.  People
running third party repos right now already exhibit discipline.  Everyone
else depends on them, and basically gives them carte-blanche to install
arbitrary software on their own machines.  That's a lot of trust, and, over
the past couple of years we didn't really have many instances of this trust
being abused.