New install of FC6, httpd won't start at boot

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 22 03:17:38 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 21 February 2007, Tim wrote:
>On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 13:03 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I hate to wake up this old thread again, but I also have this problem
>> and a search of my list archive doesn't seem to indicate a solution
>> being offered.
>>
>> This was an install on a fresh disk when I installed FC6 in November
>> 2006. httpd has never been able to start
>
>With fresh installs, plus their own updates, on both FC5 and FC6, Apache
>works for me.  But I don't use the GUI tool for configuring Apache, I've
>never thought much of it, and I seem to recall someone mentioning it as
>the culprit for some of the recent "Apache won't start" problems.
>
>Others have had problems when they've updated between Fedora releases,
>or have copied their Apache configuration files across, a few things
>changed in Apache between releases.
>
>> I've used smart to remove httpd and the mod_friends, including the
>> service-config-http utility, and then re-install them.
>
>Though, any custom configuration files would probably have been left on
>your system, and re-used with subsequent installations.  Did you check
>for that?
>
>You could move the current configuration files out of the way, and
>extract pristine ones from the RPM.
>
>> After the re-install I had to run the system-config-http utility else
>> it couldn't bind to address 0.0.0.0:80,
>
>My original httpd.conf file has just the following in the "Listen"
>section.  It worked out of the box.
>
>#
># Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
># ports, in addition to the default. See also the <VirtualHost>
># directive.
>#
># Change this to Listen on specific IP addresses as shown below to
># prevent Apache from glomming onto all bound IP addresses (0.0.0.0)
>#
>#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
>Listen 80

I did find the problem I believe.

1. For some reason the system-config-httpd archive also contains an
httpd.conf, but its for httpd-2.0, not the 2.2.3-5 being shipped.  WTF
*were* they thinking?

I had removed httpd and all its friends several times but I was always
putting it back in at the same time as its friends.  Talking to a
webmaster & IT savvy person at the tv station an hour ago, I got the
hunch that I should try installing httpd all by itself, so I did.  Then I
set up a port forward in my dd-wrt router to a port verizon *isn't*
blocking (and yes, they silently block port 80), set that port into the
httpd.conf at line 134 and started it.  My test page pops up instantly 10
miles away if they use the address:port syntax.  Now all I have to do is
actually setup the page.  In fact IIRC, I have my old amiga pages around
here someplace yet, which would be a bit more complex than the test page
apache throws up.  But I haven't written any html in quite a few years,
so it'll be slow.

>> This is what was re-installed by smart:
>> [root at coyote conf]# rpm -qa |grep http
>> httpd-2.2.3-5
>> jakarta-commons-httpclient-3.0-7jpp.1
>> system-config-httpd-1.3.3-1.1.1
>> httpd-manual-2.2.3-5
>>
>> No idea where that jakarta stuff came from, but the grep caught it.
>
>It's not something that I have installed.  You could try yum removing
>it, and seeing what else tags along for the ride.

Using smart now, I had to leave a couple pieces of it else it would have
removed azureas too, but its clearing 222 megs of stuff now.  I just
found a couple pieces of livna that could go so they did.

Thanks for the hand holding Tim, I appreciate it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)