ESR: Goodbye Fedora

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Feb 22 04:22:05 UTC 2007

Wade Hampton writes:

> 5)  Yum is a good updater, but has become slow and has many issues.  My FC6

I agree.  yum is unacceptably slow.  It's not really yum, but, going back to
my earlier point, it's rpm's inherent design.

>      x86_64 boxes fail nearly every time I do an update because of
> missing packages.

You need to run this down.  You have something going on that needs to be
fixed.  I have had no issues with yum update on FC 6 x86_64.

Of course, after I upgraded from FC 4 to FC 6 (which took maybe 2 hours max
on my x86_64 server), I carefully went through the aftermath, and carefully
uninstalled all i386 junk, and gingerly repaired the damage due to rpm bugs
I was aware of beforehand -- which manifest themselves when you remove
multilib packages.

After I stabilized FC 6 x86_64 to a good state, I never had yum update fail
going forward from that point on.