Intermittent (but frequent) problem with FC6.

Petar Nedyalkov bu at orbitel.bg
Thu Feb 22 08:28:03 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 13 February 2007, Bob St John wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have an intermittent (but frequent) problem with FC6. At first I
> thought it was a hardware problem, but now I don't think it is.
>
> This is a dual boot system. Windows XP does not crash at all, but FC6
> crashes frequently.
>
> uname -a output: Linux Linux 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 #1 SMP Mon Oct 16
> 14:39:22 EDT 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Other facts:
> - Memtest completes multiple passes without detecting any problems
> - Both FC6 and WinXP are on the same hard disk (and since WinXP works
> fine I don't think it's a disk or disk controller problem.)
> - Same logic as above for the power supply.
> - Logging in text mode causes no problems; logging in with either GNOME
> or KDE crashes the system 99% of the time after a short period of time.
> - The other 1% of the time FC6 seems stable for at least several hours.
> In fact earlier this week it was up for 3 or 4 days with relatively
> heavy usage with no problems.
> - Periodically, in GNOME, straight but zig-zagged brown lines appear on
> the display.
> - As root, I can bring up the KDE environment but not the GNOME
> environment. As other users I can bring up both GNOME and KDE.
> - The crashes happen most frequently when I'm using Evolution, but since
> I use that more than anything else this may not be very indicative.
> - When crashes occur the display freezes but the mouse moves freely.
> - When crashes occur the only thing I can do is physically power off the
> machine. When I turn it back on it boots quickly with only this
> indication of errors: "usb 1-3: cannot allocate device 2 error -110" or
> something close to that.
> - I don't know too much about Linux, but I see no error messages from
> dmesg or in /var/log/messages
> - Thinking that this has something to do with X11, I have deleted the
> xorg.conf file and rebuilt it with system-config-display (several
> times.)
>
> So I'm at a loss at resolving this problem. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks . . .

I have the same problem but I haven't investigated it yet. I think the reason
for this freeze may be the ATI proprietary drivers because I've had similar
problems in the past and moving to a new version of the fglrx driver
stabilizes the system. Since I use drivers packed from Livna and I'm don't
know what's your graphics card - please share this info with us.

I'll further investigate it today.

--
Cyberly yours,
Petar Nedyalkov

PGP ID: 7AE45436
PGP Public Key: http://bu.orbitel.bg/pgp/bu.asc
PGP Fingerprint: 7923 8D52 B145 02E8 6F63 8BDA 2D3F 7C0B 7AE4 5436