ESR: Goodbye Fedora

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 09:43:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 22:44 -0500, Wade Hampton wrote:
> A couple of points about Fedora, YUM, and RPM.
>
> 1)  Fedora was the outgrowth of RHL.  However, Red Hat blundered when they
> stopped selling RHL as an entry level product with by far the
> largest mindshare in the Linux and business community.

Wade, I couldn't agree more. I was in Chemical Marketing for 26 years
and the one thing you never do is blow off your supporters. It made no
sense and jerked off a bunch of people whose hearts and minds RedHat
practically owned. Whoever made that call needed to have their head
examined.

> This has been a good thread.  I hope it serves as a wake up call to
> the Fedora developers and their sponsors, especially Red Hat.

I still believe in RedHat, that's the helluvait. Fedora is a good
concept but it doesn't serve as a drop-in-replacement for the olde 6.0
series boxed set for the Linux User. Yum beats the heck out of what we
had back when, an over-burdened FTP site. Smart looks like a step in the
right direction.  RPM can be fixed. Right?
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net