ESR: Goodbye Fedora

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Thu Feb 22 12:46:39 UTC 2007

Today Res did spake thusly:

>>> ESR has always been a lot of hot air.  He's an attention whore.
>>>

>> He is some thing of a gas bag, isn't he. :D
>>

> Maybe :), but he has a couple things I agree with, RH/Fedora is losing ground
> on desktop share, because people want things to just work, like as simple as
> playing a bloody mp3, which they can do with every other distro
> out there. like it or not, its here and here to stay.

This is changing a little in Fedora 7

> Try converting winblows users to Fedora, but saying, oh but you cant play
> mp3's out of the box...you can, but youll have to go toa unofficial RH/Fedora
> repo and try install it, or do like I do and erase the players RH
> bastardises, and grab the source and install it, now say that to a newbie and
> you've lost em!  First impression are ever lasting in this game.

However, not all first installs are like that...I've converted a few ;)

> Secondly, the version upgrade is messy, I've never ever yet upgraded from one
> version of RH or Fedora without conflicts, FC4 was a comple explosion, I gave
> up and reinstalled previous and ignored FC4.

Odd. I've upgraded my server from RH5 all the way up to FC6 using either
apt-rpm or yum and not had any major issues. package-cleanup from yum
tools is great for getting rid of the old crap left over.

> Yet I can do this with even slackware and have been able to for years,
> with slapt-get I was able to upgrade without a drama a slackware 7 box
> to a slackware 11.0!!, reboot and viola! all working.

slapt-get completely killed my slackware 10 box. Twice. Never again...

> I'll possibly for time being stick with Fedora for desktops,as I've used them
> since early RH, but no way in bloody hell will it ever run on any
> server in my data center, I'll stick with slackware there, last RH server I
> decommisioned about 2 years ago was RH9, it was unbreakable, Fedora
> is by design "bleeding edge" or is that "bleeding edge of blunders", and if
> we dont fix it soon, the likes of debian and suse will overtake us by a long
> mile.

I run  FC6 on my server. It's never "broken". I use it to watch DivXs too
and occasionally X breaks or MPlayer, but the ability for it to deal with
my email/file serving/IRC server has remained unbroken.

> /end rant :P

I guess everyone's experience is different. Me? I only enable livna and
don't use any other repos, cept for AT for a webcam driver, and I simply
enable that long enough to get a new kmod every new kernel. And it's been
pretty solid for me...

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003