YUM doesn't not work

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 16:12:16 UTC 2007

On 2/22/07, seba bino <sebas0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yum is still Broken.
> Synaptic appears to work OK
> I install smart using synaptic; try to run it and get:
> [root at localhost ~]# smart
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/smart", line 27, in ?
>     from smart import init, initDistro, initPlugins, initPsyco
> ImportError: No module named smart
>
> Is there any way I can get smart or Yum to work without having to reinstall?
> thank you in advance for any advice as to what I could try,
> - S

I ran into a problem where after upgrading yum, it wouldn't work
anymore. I was migrating from FC3 to FC4 via yum and decided that just
upgrading yum first was a good thing. It was not due to some assumed
dependencies. I had to force install libxml2. I don't know if this is
related to your problem but if you are considering reinstalling
anyways, it couldn't hurt to try. See thread at
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-September/msg00054.html
for a description of my situation.

/Mike