ESR: Goodbye Fedora

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 17:41:50 UTC 2007

Steve Friedman wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>>
>>> You'd probably want the time specified as an interval to lag, rather
>>> than
>>> a date.
>>
>> That's trivial to compute, so it doesn't need to be part of the
>> application. What I really want are reliable, repeatable updates once
>> I've done one and tested on a non-critical box, and I'd also like it
>> to play nice with a caching web proxy.  Using a random pick from a
>> mirrorlist every run screws up both of those concepts, even if you
>> could pin the timestamp of the last update you want to consider.
>>

> The workaround for this feature is trivial.  We set up our own local
> repository (initially because updating a new config over the internet
> was so slow compared with ethernet speeds, but now we do it with
> installs and have eliminated swapping CDs).  Just push approved updates
> (instead of blindly rsync'ing the part of the tree that interests you),
> and you're done.

That's always sounded fairly horrible to me as a workaround for
something that should be really simple.  My servers are widely
distributed and not all of the same distribution/version so having to
build the infrastructure of a local repository for each with hand-picked
rpms doesn't sound like fun.  I'd probably try to automate something
that made a list of installed rpm versions and fed that to another
machine's yum as an easier approach.  Most of the servers are Centos,
though and I've had pretty good luck with just trusting the
repositories. The 3.x version even does something sensible when you use
a proxy cache so I haven't put much effort into a workaround.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com