generic HW question about SATA

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Feb 22 20:58:30 UTC 2007

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Kudzu should find the disk when you add it.
>
> I'm not sure that it is kudzu these days -- as I understand it, the
> hotplug system should detect it on boot, and udev should add a /dev/sda
> device node.

Udev rather then hotplug. Hotplug is on the way out. It isn't even
used when you plug in USB devices any more. It is supposed to be
able to use hotplug scripts, but I think that is broken. At least it
does not work for my GPS or REB1100. (I files a bug report on the
GPS, but not the REB1100, as I broke the REB1100, and can't really
test that any more.) But Kudzu should at least update
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf.

>> I am not sure
>> what happens when you reboot after partitioning the disks - it would
>> be interesting to see if the partitions would get auto-mounted off
>> of /media if you do not have entries for them in fstab.
>
> I would think that highly unlikely, because the disks would not have
> filesystems on them. Anne would have to mke2fs new filesystems before
> they could be mounted.

I am not sure how the system would handle it - the partition type
might cause the system to look for a specific type of file system,
and a label. The logs would be interesting in any case. I guess I'll
have to look at the HAL rules...

> What I'm not sure about is whether suitable device nodes will be created
> when Anne either creates new partitions or a new logical volume (e.g.
> /dev/sda1, if she creates one large traditional partition). I don't know
> if there's any way to get the system to rescan the disk short of
> rebooting.

They would be created on a reboot. I think they would also be
created if you use "hdparm -z <drive>" to re-read the partition
table. Then again, fdisk tries to do an update when you write the
partition table to disk...

> In any case, my experience is that FC6 won't auto-mount partitions on
> non-removable media.

I have not played with it, that is why I was wondering what the
system would do...

Mikkel