generic HW question about SATA

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Thu Feb 22 22:24:15 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>> I thought that udev and hal only dealt with removeable drives?
>>
> Udev deals with just about every device. All the entries in /dev are
> created by udev. There is actually a file system mounted on top of
> /dev that is managed by udev. If you look at /dev after booting form
> a live CD, you will see only a few entries - just enough to get the
> system started. How much HAL gets in the act depends on the HAL
> rules. There is a udev rule that tells HAL about every device that
> is added. It gets more complicated all the time!
>
> # pass all events to the HAL daemon
>
> RUN+="socket:/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event"
>

> Mikkel

I'm running a mix of PATA and SATA drives here. Just to add a little
simplicity, I don't run the HAL daemon on my systems, and I don't
automount anything (except /, /boot, and swap). All my disk partitions
are labeled, so I couldn't care less about device names. I usually
mount my data drives on directories in my home directory.

So far, no problems.

Regards,

John