Microsoft Courts Red Hat

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 23 04:47:22 UTC 2007

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:41:15 -0500
> taharka <res00vl8 at alltel.net> wrote:
>

>>Microsoft is to form a partnership with Red Hat to improve the
>>interoperability of Windows and Linux, according to Tom Robertson,
>>Microsoft's general manager of interoperability and standards.
>

> But the only interoperability problems are always caused by

"Only" and "always" are very big words.

> Microsoft refusing to actually obey existing RFCs. What's the
> partnership going to do? Break redhat the same way microsoft
> is already broken?

I used to work for a telecomm company, which I shall not name.
We manufactured STPs (and other telecomm equipment) which had
to "talk" SS7 to other manufacturer's equipment. Another equipment
manufacturer, which I shall also not name, routinely broke the
SS7 protocol by issuing invalid requests. If one responded with
a denial, it would repeat the same request. Eventually, it would
report the denying equipment as being at fault, and remove it
from its list of candidates for forward. Repeated requests
to get this other company to modify its equipment's behavior
were met with stolid silence. Eventually, we modified our
equipment, by reverse-engineering how their equipment responded
when we sent it similar requests, so that the requests would
go through. We figured out what it was really asking for, and
re-created a new conforming message which we forwarded.

"Interoperability" is a very large word, also.

You want your equipment/software/whatever to be accepted and successful,
you make it work in the world as it is, not as you think it should be.

C'est la vie.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.