Installing synce from tarballs: where to install?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 09:49:06 UTC 2007

On 23/02/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> > I don't mind adding /opt and /opt/bin to my path. One question,
> > though. If I have foo-0.8 (for example) installed and package bar want
> > foo-0.7, how can I set it up so that only bar will use foo-0.7. I'd
> > leave the system's foo-0.8 as it is, and unpack the foo-0.7 tarball
> > into /opt. Then, I'd install bar, but how do I tell bar to use the foo
> > in /opt?
> >
> > While this is a purely hypothetical situation at the moment, I'm
> > interested as I've had problems of this sort in the past. I'm trying
> > to learn _before_ I find myself stuck.
> >
> It is hard to give a general answer to this, because it depends on
> what f00-0.7 is. If it is a program that bar runs, then you have to
> change bar's configuration to point to the correct location.
> (Programs like k3b, mplayer-gui, etc.) If it is a library, it is
> possible to have more then one version of a library installed. The
> linker will normally like to the version the program was compiled
> ageist. It gets tougher when it is a minor version change, because
> minor version changes are supposed to be backwards compatible.
>
> You should also take a look at the man page for the ld.so command.
> There are some environment variables you can set to control where it
> looks for libraries. You can write a shell script named bar that is
> in your path, and not have bar in your path. Then when you run bar,
> the script sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH and then runs bar with its full path
> name. This works well if the bar script is in /usr/local/bin, and
> bar is in /opt/bar.

I see. I did not realize that it is possible to have more than one
version of a library installed. Actually, I thought quite the
opposite, what with the mess of Dag/FreshRPMs/friends vs.
Livna/Extras. But now at least I have the keywords to google. Thank
you.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/copyleft.html
http://uldu.com