2007 DST Change

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 23 15:10:33 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>> There is a distinction between "unmaintained" and "unsupported".
>

> What's the difference?  The bugs that were always there become known and
> exploitable by easily obtained scripts.  You need updates to keep the
> known bugs fixed.

They are independent activities, though maintenance is easier
with a distro which is supported. Upgrading from one update
of, say FC6, to a later update is a maintenance activity which
may or may not take place, even though FC6 is supported. Replacement
of a version of Firefox with a later one on an FC2 machine is
also a maintenance activity. Doing backups is a maintenance activity.
Opening the box and vacuuming out the dust bunnies is a
maintenance activity.

They are not the same thing. One may have a well-maintained
but unsupported machine. I have a well-maintained MSDOS machine,
for example.

One may also have an unmaintained but well-supported machine.
Just don't do anything, even click the up-to-date icon
or run yum, and don't do any backups.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.