Seamlessly switching network profiles

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Fri Feb 23 18:11:29 UTC 2007

Hello,

My laptop (Dell Inspiron 4150) has Fedora Core 6. I carry it around to school,
lab, and home. All these places have different network profile, eg:
School: Wireless, with SSID, or wired
Lab: Wireless, no ESSID
Home: Wireless, with SSID & WEP, or wired
All uses DHCP to get IP.

I want to be able to somehow set it up so that I can move to anyone of those
places, turn it on, and have internet connection. Also, If I have wire
connected to the LAN port, I want for to use that instead of wireless (since
it's faster connection). But also I want to be able to unplug the wire
without rebooting and have it move to wireless connection.

Any help on how to do this ?

Thank you.
RDB
--